Sunday, October 31, 2010

Munich: Dachau


On Friday we made our way out to Dachau concentration camp, which is right outside of Munich.

Dachau started out as a political prisoners camp and was a "model camp" for the rest. It is the only camp to be around for the entire 12 years the Nazi's were in power.

It was built to hold only 6,000 people and by 1945 there were over 32,000.

I visited this camp many years ago with my mom and remember it being so dark and depressing, and although the sun was shining on Friday and it was gorgeous outside, walking through again just weighed us all down.

To think that there can be so much hate in the world, and how anyone could treat another human being like that, I just don't understand.
I'm thankful that places like this still exist to remind us of the horrors and mistreatment that occurred not so long ago.


 The shower rooms

 Inside the Barracks




 All of those cement areas are where the barracks used to be.
The path in between all the barracks where the prisoners would meet.







The crematorium. They made the prisoners build the crematorium... so incredibly sick.





This is the path and railway that they were brought in on.

Honestly I don't even know how to end this post. 
How do you rap up a day where thousands upon thousands were killed, beaten, and cruelly treated?

I think all I can end with is
Spread Love.
We've seen what happens when the message is hate.
And I don't think we ever want to go back.

No comments: