Friday, June 25, 2010

Homemade Pizza

Every Friday night is pizza night at the Stainbrook household. And I'm not just talking about Jon's and my household. Although I'm not sure if it's every Friday night for the others in the Stainbrook family, it's safe to say that pizza is the dominant food choice for this family :) And I'm totally ok with that.

It proves to be a bit of an issue on the islands as there is no option for pizza other than what we can make for ourselves. (or the really weird frozen pizza they have with individually wrapped pieces that are not good... even a little bit).

We've become quite the homemade pizza connesuirs. We used to make a little bit more of a complex pizza dough that required rising and quite a few ingredients... and then I came across this delicious no-rise pizza dough. I love that I can make it and it's done in just a few minutes.


No- Rise Pizza Dough
1 pkg. yeast ( 2 1/4 tsp)
1 cup warm water
1/2 tsp. Salt * I actually don't add this*
2 cups flour * I substitute one of these cups for whole wheat flour*
  I also add in
1/4 c. wheat germ
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed

Put the yeast in and then poor the warm water over it and let it sit for about 5  minutes.

Then stir in the rest of the ingredients until it makes a solid ball of dough.

theeeeeeeeee heeeeeeen....
it's time to knead the dough on a floured surface.


Hello there gorgeous. I seriously love kneading the dough. hands down favorite part of the whole ordeal.
There's just something about working the dough with your hands... I LOVE it... yes I'm kind of weird, and I don't care.


Then it's time to put it in the pan and spread it out. I of course did not take a picture of this part of the process... I struggle with taking pictures and baking at the same time. *that and my husband is OCD and won't let me touch the camera unless my hands have been washed 5 times, sanitized, and then bleached.*

I actually pre-bake the crust for about 8-10 minutes and then we load it up!



This was half way through the baking progress... we usually let it get nice and crispy brown. Oh the deliciousness.

If you're short on time and craving pizza, try this recipe. It's so quick and easy and tastes like the other one I used to make but without the extra 45 minutes of rise time.

What is your staple food? What MUST your family have for dinner at least once a week or every other week?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are so right!!!! Friday night is still our Pizza night, too funny!!! Anxious to try out the new homemade pizza dough, looks fab...thanks for sharing.

Lucy said...

Hey! Thanks for sharing this
I'm planning a trip to South America, my idea is to stay in short term apartments, and I think I'll cook more than often this great meal: PIZZA!!
So I want to learn to do it so it tastes good and avoid getting bored of it