Sunday, July 18, 2010

School's Out For The Summer!



Well, at least it was supposed to be. It'd be a bit of an understatement if I said I hadn't been counting down the days, weeks, months... up until July 16th. Teaching isn't really my first pick of a job so I have been looking forward to a month of being away from the school, not eating the school lunch, and not seeing any students.

Then I was told I'd have a summer school for four days. No big deal. I can handle that.


And so as I planned my days of laziness and planned my trips around Korea with our many visitors (yay!) I was so happy in my month long summer bubble of ignorance.

Then my school dropped the bomb and obliterated any hope I might've had. And they dropped this bomb 5 days before summer break started. Wasn't that sweet?  Summer is no longer just the season for relaxing and going to the beach, it's the season for desk warming. Which means going into the school and literally sitting at my desk....by myself.

I thought of every possible way to get out of it, tried to come up with a plan. But because my school didn't make me desk warm over the winter the school board office was not too impressed and forced the matter. My co-t has mentioned many times how absolutely ridiculous it all is the words stupid and dumb were thrown around. But she mentioned if I didn't my school may get in trouble, and I don't want to be that foreigner so I sucked it up! And actually I only have to be there for like 3 hours everyday which isn't too shabby.

That and the fact that I know english teachers ALL OVER Korea land are in the same boat really helps put it into perspective.

One clever waegookin (foreigner for you non-korean folk) put together this little video... and I think it captures the feelings of all of us native english teachers :)





So, as much as I'd love to just not have anything to do for the next month, I'll be spending some of that lovely time chillin' at my desk facebook stalking people like it's my job.

Ahhhhh Still livin' the good life :)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

So funny!