Sunday, August 22, 2010

Peaches n' Cream Pie

Honestly, it's been a bit on the refreshing side to not be on the blog, figuring out pictures and putting up posts.  Buuuuuuuut for the very few who actually do read this I thought I'd put up a little something fun  ( and photo intensive) !


This past week I've made this...

Twice.

This is by faaaaaar my favorite summer time pie. Other than strawberry rhubarb, frozen strawberry,  blueberry and a million others, what can I say... I LOVE pie. 
My mom always makes this pie in the summer and I love to re-create it. And each time it gets a bit easier. The first time I made it, it did not go so smoothly. I'm pretty sure I had a panic attack.
I was making it for Jon's family as a "thank you" for helping me fix my car. We'd been dating like a month and the pie HAD TO BE PERFECT. Needless to say the experience was not so perfect and it included 50 calls to my mom wondering why I hadn't inherited her natural pie cooking abilities.
It tasted great, and I'm thankful that it's gotten easier in time.

Alright... on to the pie!

First we'll start with the Whole Wheat Crust


1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. white flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. butter
3 tsp water (although I add a smidge more)

use a fork to mix it all together and then put it on some wax paper.


Roll it out nice and thin! Then you get the fun job of transferring to the pie plate.


I make Jon help. Then I poke a few holes with a fork and bake it in the oven for a good 10-15 min at 425.

Now onto the filling... the BEST part...

4 peaches
2/3 c sugar
4 T. flour
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon ( I add waaaaaaaay more)
1c. Whipping cream (we're all about healthy here in the stainbrook casa... gotta' get that dairy in :) )


First throw the peaches into some boiling water, and continue to let them boil for half of your life because they need to soften up enough for you to peel the skin off. ( I usually do this while I'm making the pie crust... it seriously takes the peaches FOREVER.... FOOOOOOR---EEEEEE--VVVEEEER..


While the peaches are boiling away and the crust is baking we make the rest of the filling.

You may be tempted to stick our finger in and sneak a lick ... but that's a little unsanitary. So grab a spoon :)

By now your peaches just may be ready... drain them and rinse them under cold water... and while they are under the freezing cold water peel off the skin.
They'll look lovely, appetizing, and diseased....

Now... in the actual recipe you are apparently supposed to be able to cut them in half and lay the halves in the pie. This has NEVER happened for me. So roll with the punches and just cut off large chunks around the pit and place 'em in your pre baked crust.




Then pour on the yummy addicting filling that you haven't been sneaking tastes from while you were waiting for the peaches and crust.


Then put it in the oven for 35-45 min at 400.
After about 20 minutes or so the top will be nice and brown, to make sure it doesn't burn you'll want to make a tent fold out of foil and put it on top for the rest of the time.

And soon you'll be enjoying


this :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome! I wish I wasn't the only one who likes pie around here.