Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Love Dare-The Beginning







Sorry for the hiatus in blogging, but we've been busy showing my brother and his wife around the Land of the Morning Calm... i.e. Korea. We've been having an absolutely wonderful time with them and I can't believe they are already leaving on Saturday! It's too soon!

For those of you who don't know Lent has arrived. And while I don't believe giving up something for Lent or doing something special for it affects your relationship with Christ or that it's really necessary to do anything at all, I always do. And this year Jon and I are "sacrificing" ourselves. When I say that I mean we are attempting to sacrifice our selfish nature and put each other first.
We are doing.... dun dun dun

The Love Dare.
For those of you that saw the flick "Fireproof" (don't worry I didn't) you'll know what I'm talking about.



The Love Dare is a 40 day "Dare" for married couples. Every day there is a challenge to better yourself and put your partner and your marriage first. Every day you are challenged to unconditionally love your spouse. Because Lent happens to be 40 days, we decided it's the perfect time to sacrifice our selfish nature and really focus on each other. I'm really excited about this and feel that it'll really help build our marriage. And quite honestly I'm hoping it'll really weed out some of my very real flaws in our relationship.


So today was day 1... and of course we are already off a day so we'll be putting day 1 and 2 together. But the challenge for day one is patience. ouch. This is one of those many flaws that smack me right in the face, and truthfully sabotage a healthy relationship. I mean are they just trying to take me down right in the beginning? Why not start with something easy like, give your partner a kiss...? I could do that. And it would be so easy. sigh... ahhh challenges. Impatience is just a part of me, waiting is so hard, and as for having grace and patience with others... sooooo difficult. For some reason I feel that Jon will have a much easier time with a lot of these tasks. But I guess this is the growing, accomplishment, and change I was aching for in one my last post. So here it goes, tomorrow we'll start (as it's 12:30 a.m. in korea right now) And we'll see what day 1 and day 2 bring. Pray for patience.





Oh and I'm also giving up pop (yes I am from Minnesota... ) somehow I think that'll be a bit easier...


Any of you take part in Lent??


3 comments:

The Stephens said...

Great post! Can't wait to read more . . . . What an exceptional way to celebrate Lent.

joelle said...

I love that you are doing this! How amazing...

Laura said...

Sara, what a great idea! I wish I'd thought of that! My lenten 'sacrifice' even though it's not of the depravation nature is to spend designated time in prayer with God each day. I need to ground myself and connect with Him before I can do anything else, so that's going to be the focus. I am also going to incorporate reading Scripture in there, because that's something I've always been slacking on.