Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 1 and Day 2...




So the Love Dare has begun, and the first two days are over... and they were... ok. The first two days were Patience and Kindness. Basically it was a dare to not say anything negative towards your spouse (have some more patience) and even to really watch your thoughts toward your spouse. The second day was to do something unexpectedly (is that even a word?) kind for your spouse. Today was a fantastic day and it was very easy to be patient with Jon and kind, but maybe it's because he was trying to be the same way with me :)

What I've really been enjoying through this book is some of the scripture they give and just how they break down these very small, but very important parts of loving someone else. Some of the verses I've been meditating on and thinking about are:

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2


"He who is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who is quick tempered exalts folly"
Proverbs 14:29 (this one is a toughy... especially for me...aaahhhh i love my temper :) )

What I like most about the patience is that it says throughout the chapter "Few of us do patience very well, none of us do it naturally." Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one who didn't ;)




"Do not let kindness and truth leave you; bind them around your neck, and write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man" - Proverbs 3:3-4


" What is desirable in a man is his kindness"- Proverbs 19:22

And this is the kicker

"She (the wife in proverbs) opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue"- Proverbs 31:26
I mean who doesn't want to be that wife/mother. Who doesn't want to be full of wisdom and kindness. Ahhhh this will be forever my goal.

I also enjoyed that for kindness that it had four different ingredients: Gentleness, Helpfulness, Willingness (this is a big one for me and my stubborn ways) and Initiative. I love what it says it's just so clear

"Kindness graces a wife with the ability to serve her husband without worrying about her rights"- spot on people, spot on

"When actin from kindness, you see the need, then you make your move. First."



I think more than anything it's helped me to realize not only my treatment of my husband, but how do I treat others around me? My friends and family? Or that random person on the street? My students, co-workers? Do I do my best to treat them with patience and kindness?

Looks like this 40 days is going to challenge my thinking in some big ways, but I'm glad for that and I do think it's good to examine yourself and why you act the way you do (spoken like a true psych. major.... i know).

I'm going to leave with a challenge to each of you (if you read this :) ) Do one act of random kindness today... whether it is to your spouse, child, random stranger, friend... or anyone. Do something it'll make their day, and it'll pry make yours too! So let me know... what did you do today?






No comments: