As I've been watching T.V. back in the states I can't help but notice all of the commercials directed toward weight loss. Whether it's pills, creams, lotions, work out programs, machines, videos, meal plans... and really the list goes on. I realize what an outward appearance based culture we really are. Don't get me wrong I like to be healthy and look good (I may have also purchased Jon and I the P90x workout for Christmas and am fully expecting to have my butt kicked) but really we focus so much on the outside that we forget about changing and doing things for the inside. I usually do this by reflecting on the past year, what's happened what's changed?And this year... was a HUGE year for change:) Jon and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary, we traveled to Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, and Japan. We had 5 wonderful weeks at home with family, started our second year in Korea, and had a fantastic time in Alaska.
But to take this reflection a bit further the pastor at Lakewood this morning handed out a list of questions, just to ponder and look through for the next year. While most of us focus on weight loss, dropping that bad habit, eating better etc. These questions really focus on our relationship with God, and our relationship with each other. And not that these other things are wrong or bad... it's just that when it comes down to it, I've realized in my own life how much I would love to really examine these relationships and work to grow and change in them. So here are some of the 31 questions I really enjoyed the most...
1.What's one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
2.What's the most humanly impossible thing you will ask God to do this year?(Korea to be next to Minnesota :) )
3. What's the single most important thing you could do to improve the quality of your family life this year?
4. In which spiritual discipline do you most want to make progress this year, and what will you do about it?
5. What is the single biggest time-waster in your life, and what will you do about it this year? (ouch do I really have to give up those time wasters?? they're so fun!)
6.For whose salvation will you pray most fervently this year?
7. What's the most important way you will, by God's grace, try to make this year different from last year?
8. What single thing that you plan to do this year will matter most in ten years? In eternity?
9. Who is the person you would most want to encourage this year?
10.What single blessing from God do you want to seek most earnestly this year?
11. What skill do you most want to learn or improve this year?
12. If those who know you best gave you one piece of advice, what would they say? Would they be right? What will you do about it?
*last one I promise :) *
13. In what area of your life do you most need change, and what will you do about it this year?
So think about them, reflect, and enjoy 2010! Blessings to all of you this year!
*also, I'm not quite sure who reads this, but if you would feel so inclined to comment it'd be swell :) I know it's a bit of pain if you don't already have an account but once you have one you are set for life!