Saturday, July 2, 2011

Alaskan Adventure: Denali Round 2


As the skies were beginning to clear we made our way to a rest stop/tourist stop I wasn't that interested in the books or post cards, but the animal antlers were calling my name...


That thing was HEAVY... and it was only one. I couldn't imagine having two and then having the neck strength to actually move.

Moose impress me.



turning into a dall sheep.
no. big. deal


The to Jon's dismay I made him get involved.
he wasn't as excited as i was.
shocking, i know.


but my niece grace was MORE than happy to oblige her crazy aunt!



Ok, see at the very top of the clouds this white peaks? 
Yeah, that's Mt.McKinley.

Apparently, we were extremely lucky to see even this much of the mountain.
Like 90% of people that go, rarely ever even see the mountain.

John (the wheezing bus driver) explained this would be our last shot of it most likely, so we took pictures like crazy. 


Oh hello mr. grizzly!


The half way stop at Wonder Lake


The siblings


Becca and two of her girls. Sophia and Grace


Moose!



Later in the afternoon the sun relay started to break out and it was gorgeous view after gorgeous view. 


So as I was taking pictures out the bus window, I snagged a glimpse of a larger snow capped mountain behind us.

I, being the nice sister I am, abruptly woke up my brother Nate asking "Nate! Is that Mt. McKinley?? Is it??"




Why yes, yes it was :)



(this is without the zoom. that mountain is still HUMONGOUS)



So despite a dismal morning and a little bit of disappointment at not seeing the mountain clearly.
I'd say we got our money shots in, and the 11 hours on the bus were MORE than worth it to see that massive, snow capped mountain!

No comments: